Updated: June 18, 2013
Ohio Workers' Compensation News
Read Ohio workers' compensation news for the current
year below. To read Ohio workers' compensation news from
previous years (back to 1996), see our news
archive. For more news about the Ohio workers'
compensation system, subscribe
to the Ohio Workers'
- The Governor appointed Tim Bainbridge as the new employee member on the Industrial Commission. Bainbridge will replace Gary DiCeglio.Bainbridge's term begins July 1, 2013.
- In 1993 the legislature created the Public Employment Risk Reduction Program (PERRP) to create a safe workplace for public employees. The BWC administers PERRP and you can find more information about PERRP on the BWC’s web site.
- The governor of Ohio signed the law creating the Industrial Commission on March 14, 1913. In honor of its 100th anniversary, the Industrial Commission created a poster illustrating the Commission’s history. The poster starts in 1885 with the first voluntary attempt to resolve accidents between employers and employees and ends with the 100th anniversary of the Industrial Commission on March 14, 2013. The Commission will display the poster in its offices. You can also see the poster on the Industrial Commission’s website.
- Governor Kasich appointed Jodie Taylor chair of the Industrial Commission. Taylor, the employer member on the Commission, became chair effective February 13, 2013.
- Two recent Supreme Court decisions have limited an injured worker's ability to sue their employer for intentional tort. Read more >>
- Industrial Commission Resolution R12-1-03 updated the policy for representatives seeking hearing blocks (times when they do not have any scheduled hearings). The Resolution also updated the Commission's continuance policy. Read more >>
- The 2013 Disabled Worker Relief Fund rates are: $358.62 (weekly) and $1,558.29 (monthly).
- See the 2013 rates for workers' compensation awards on our rates page.